Friday, February 26, 2010

Week 7

The newest excitement is the map you see below! We have plans to be on it starting in April. During a morning/afternoon off for me and a day off for Andrea we decided to get the Routeburn Track booked. We will be completing the Routeburn Track from east to west and then connecting the Caples Track to make it a loop. One night in the Routeburn Falls Hut, one night in our tent at Lake Mackenzie Campground and another night in the tent near the Upper Caples Hut. We are both pretty excited to get some nights under the southern stars.
This upcoming weekend is our planned weekend off together, we do not have many days off together. We are going to make the drive to Milford Sound on Saturday morning. It is said to be about a 3 hour drive, and a most beautiful one. A few things still need to be finalized but it is on the books and we are going to camp/hike/sight see the infamous Milford Sound. Everyone says that a cruise is a must do, thus we may take a short cruise on the water to get the full experience.
Hopefully the weather cooperates and allows for some magnificent views. The excitement will be building all week long.

This past Thursday was an evening where a few co-workers and friends were out 'n about on the town after work doing what Queenstowners do best, drinking until the wee hours of the night. After a good evening at work, I decided I should tag along for a few beverages to socialize with my co-workers outside of work. I stopped at one establishment to pick up Andrea and found that she was hanging out with my long lost friends whom I have not seen since starting my job. We cheersed a few beers then headed out to meet my cohort of friends. Walked a few blocks to a place neither one of us had been to find the dance floor filled with my friends from the US, Canada, Korea, Ireland & the Czech Republic. Andrea finally met them and vice versa. Good times were had until about 2 am when a few of us started to get a bit tired. The Irishman, myself and Andrea said our goodbyes and headed up the hill. A good night.

The next day was my friday, but I did not have to work until 5pm at the restaurant. These days are a bit of an irony as I have all morning to do as I please, yet all day the thought of a days worth of work is always a cloud over my head. This 'Friday' of mine, which happened to be the real Friday I woke up and had a day planned with the Drew Bros. (Our flatmate Dave's brothers were visiting for their fathers 70th). We started the day right with a good breaky and coffee at a small joint in town. Then we decided to make the drive up to the Remarkables ski are for a varying vantage point of the surrounding areas (I did not have our camera, thus no pictures yet). It was incredible or should I say Remarkable! This gravel road was quite steep and windy but the 'sewing machine rental car,' as one brother called it made the trip. amazing views on the perfect day. After that trip we then decided we had enough time to drive to the neighboring town of Wanaka for a quick bite and brew. This drive was yet another one with views around every corner. We arrived back in Queenstown just in time for me to head up the gondola for an evenings worth of work. I was exhausted and glad I had two days off to look forward to.

On other notes...
I have updated my photos via facebook if you care to take a look.
Andrea and I have come to love this little product and its manufacturer. Lisa's hummus and dips are the most amazing we have ever tried. They are based out of NZ and I am awaiting an email to see whether they distribute to the states. Yes, I did inquire to see whether they distribute outside of NZ. If you ever get the chance to try them you will understand. The Jalepeno and Lime is by far our favorite. sigh... I look forward to the next time I get to hang out with the dip and a brew.
Cheers.

No comments: