Sunday, January 31, 2010

Three Week

It has already been 3 weeks, time has flown by here in kiwiland. This pas week was fairly relaxed and single goal oriented. Find a job, simple as that. I wanted to find a job that I could not find back at home. A job that would be a part of this whole experience. Before moving here, I wanted to be involved with something "Queenstown-esque," such as bungy jumping, rafting, mountain biking, or some sort of adrenaline junky type of employment. I also would have loved to work on a farm/orchard/vinyard and get a feel of what it is like to live and work on such an operation. I also love working outside, with plants and with my hands. Well my decision has been made...

After arriving in town, I quickly realized that we are kinda far from any of the farm/orchard operations, remove that possibility. Most of the adrenaline type work was popular and usually taken by locals or people who have been waiting for the vacancies long before I, nix that possibility. So i started to get less and less picky about what I was going to be doing to earn my keep in the country. Although, I did not loose hope in doing something I could not do at home. I kept at it and talked to people, put my name out there, even chatted people up during hitch hiking adventures (nearly found two jobs that way). Side note: People are quite friendly here, oh, and hitch hiking is totally accepted. I/we have hitched a few times back to our place from town to save some time and everybody who picks us up is more than friendly and has a unique story to tell. I gladly listen and thank them for the ride. End side note.

I was beginning to get nervous as nobody has shown an interest with a call back, even with applying at the hotels as a last resort. Then all of a sudden, an unexpected call arrived from the Skyline Gondola. They wanted an interview. I was excited and come to think of it had no idea what type of work they wanted as they are a large complex of many activities. The interview went well and turns out it is for a position in the restaurant serving. I just found out they want to hire me, thus I accepted. I will be riding the gondola up to work every day, which will be exciting for a while at least. I have found my "Queenstown-esque" employment. It may not be working directly at the bungy platform, zipline tour or luge attraction, but it is right in the vicinity. Sigh of relief as I now feel like I have a place in this community as a worker. I will have money coming in to save up for our next great adventure.

Other adventures this week... went on a short 1 hr. hike on the Moonlight Track with Andrea and Caitlin. Below are a few pictures we snapped.


I also rode my bike to the nearby town of Arrowtown. Mainly to get a workout in, but also because I had the time and have heard it is a beautiful ride. A great 15 kms there and a windy 15 kms back. Mountain views in every direction as I rode through the hills of farmlands. This photo below depicts how the buildings have maintained the architecture of the old town. This was a small pub where you walk a few steps down and inside and it is quite cave like, yet comfy and cozy.

Last but not least this is a shot of the sun setting over Lake Wakatipu from Queenstown. We were out celebrating a friends birthday and came across this scene.

No comments: